Barley flour, though still containing a bit of gluten, is a nice alternative to whole wheat flour. These muffins are lightly sweet with a whole grain flavor, and of course, they have blueberries generously strewn throughout. Absolutely wonderful right out of the oven! And if the little Pickles don't sneak them all away, they are a treat to save for tomorrow's breakfast!
makes 1 dozen
3 1/4 cups barley flour
1/2 cup Sucanat
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup Almond Dream unsweetened milk
1/2 cup refined coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin tins well or fill with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, Sucanat, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk to combine well.
3. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, oil, honey, and vanilla.
4. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Lightly and quickly fold blueberries into the batter. Do not overmix. Divide batter into 12 muffin tins.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (If using fresh berries, baking time will be reduced.)
6. Cool in muffin tin for 2 minutes, then carefully remove muffins to a cooling rack.
|An egg-free version of Blueberry Barley Muffins|