Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pancake Lightbulbs

When I first started cooking without wheat and dairy, I felt like I had to re-learn how to cook.  I was well practiced in the art of making dishes with those two components.  I understood their role in the recipe and could estimate and predict how they would behave to create the finished dish.  When I eliminated them, I was left to work with a whole new set of ingredients that I either had never heard of or knew only by name and not from any former experience.  I didn't know their history or behavior in a recipe and I didn't know what to expect from them!  In order to eat, I had to start at square one and go from a head knowledge to a working knowledge rather quickly!
 
Lots of failed baking attempts, soupy brownies, scary breads, and flat out yucky muffins made me more than a few times want to just throw in the towel.  But each "failure" was, as Edison put it, not just a failure, but one more way that I knew how not to make a light bulb (well, yes, a recipe in my case).  Each "failure" left me one recipe smarter in what wouldn't work, so I could use my experience to find out what WOULD!  Each time I flopped, I still learned a little more about the character of each ingredient.  Recipe failures are only stepping stones to greater future meals.
 
Over the past few years, we have eaten a variety of soggy, thick, chewy, thin, crunchy, yucky, eggy, interesting and underwhelming pancake recipes.  Lots of learning about the ingredients for sure, but still no yummy winners.  I do prefer recipes that have super-simple and straight-forward ingredients and still taste like you would expect them to, not like a sad representation of your taste-buds dreams.
 
Initially reading this recipe left me skeptical as the only flour used is rice flour.  I feared a gritty texture.  I dove in anyways (call it another experiment to see if the light bulb would turn on) and tried it.
 
The light bulb BEAMED! 
 
The Pickles and their chef loved them!
 
Like, really truly LOVED them!
 
I made them a second time the same week because, well, I may have been at this for more than a handful of years, but didn't want to risk "Beginner's Luck" still having any sway.  I think the flavor somewhat resembles a pancake mix, and I reduced the amount of baking powder from the original recipe because I noticed a baking powder "aftertaste."  I also added vanilla to boost the flavor.  And, that feared grittiness?  It wasn't there!
 
So what was the Second-Time-Around-Verdict?  Still love them!
 
So here you go.  Here's the Pickle-approved pancake. 
Have yourself a happy little light bulb, ahem, pancake!  We did!



Rice Pancakes
(adapted from this recipe here)

1 cup finely ground basmati rice flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup kefir
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla


1.  In a bowl, whisk together rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2.  In a separate bowl whisk together well the eggs and kefir, and whisk continually while slowly pouring in coconut oil.  Stir in vanilla.
3.  Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined.
4.  Pour batter onto preheated, lightly greased pancake griddle or skillet.  When bottom side of each pancake is set, flip pancake over and cook second side until pancake is cooked through.  Remove to cooling rack.
5.  Serve with maple syrup (my favorite!), jam, or any other favorite pancake topping!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I just made a double batch of these for lunch after church. I ran some frozen rasperries under the tap in a strainer to thaw them and added them to the batter. De-Li-Cious! Everyone loved them. We use that raw goat milk kefir, and I could taste it just a bit, but it meshed well with everything and was not a problem at all! Thanks for another great recipe that's sure to be a staple in our house! Also thanks for giving me a way to use up a lot of kefir, fast! :)

    Jenn S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am SOO happy this hit the spot for you! Great idea with the raspberries!

      Delete
  2. I have seriously made these like 5 times now! I have to make a double batch! I tried using half oat flour and half rice flour and the result was awesome both times! Something about the oat flour masks the "goat" from our kefir and we don't even need the raspberries! All my kids, (and myself), THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for this recipe!

    Jenn S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny...I just tried the same thing with oat flour yesterday! Great minds think alike! So glad you guys are enjoying them! I am just so happy to finally have a "go-to" pancake recipe that we like!

      Delete