I am so happy to see the apple season return! My Pickles happen to adore apples, and I love having fresh, tree-ripened crisp fruit to offer to them. We have been making applesauce and apple crisp...and just simply eating fresh apples for breakfast, lunch, and supper...and maybe even for a few snacks in between.
Here is our version of Apple Crisp, which we also enjoy for any meal of the day,
maybe even sneaking a few spoonfuls in between...
1. In a lightly greased 2.5 quart baking dish, layer 6 cups of fresh peeled and sliced apples.
2. In a small food processor fitted with a metal blade, process 3 Tbsp. rice flour and 3 Tbsp. old fashioned rolled oats until oats are broken down into a coarse flour. Pour mixture into a small bowl.
3. Add 2/3 cup brown sugar, 2/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon and stir wih a fork to combine.
4. Pour over flour mixture 1/4 cup melted coconut oil. Use a fork to work oil through entire mixture. Pour over top of apples.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until apples are tender.