Friday, September 28, 2012

Apple Season

I am so happy to see the apple season return!  My Pickles happen to adore apples, and I love having fresh, tree-ripened crisp fruit to offer to them. We have been making applesauce and apple crisp...and just simply eating fresh apples for breakfast, lunch, and supper...and maybe even for a few snacks in between.
 

Here is our version of Apple Crisp, which we also enjoy for any meal of the day,
maybe even sneaking a few spoonfuls in between...
 
 
Apple Crisp
 
1.  In a lightly greased 2.5 quart baking dish, layer 6 cups of fresh peeled and sliced apples.
 
2.  In a small food processor fitted with a metal blade, process 3 Tbsp. rice flour and 3 Tbsp. old fashioned rolled oats until oats are broken down into a coarse flour.  Pour mixture into a small bowl.
 
3.  Add 2/3 cup brown sugar, 2/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon and stir wih a fork to combine.
 
4.  Pour over flour mixture 1/4 cup melted coconut oil.  Use a fork to work oil through entire mixture.  Pour over top of apples.
 
5.  Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until apples are tender.


3 comments:

  1. AHHH! You're making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you grind your own rice flour or buy it? If so, brown or white rice? Do you run your grain mill on high or low speed? Do you grind it finer or coarser? Any information I should know before trying to run it through my grain mill?

    Thanks!
    LK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do grind my own rice flour! I grind white basmati rice in my Nutrimill right in the middle at medium speed. I also like to grind it on the finer side. I have had no issues grinding my flour this way, and I LOVE the flavor of the basmati rice flour! For now, it is the only rice flour I use in all my recipes.

      Delete