Monday, September 10, 2012

Lingering Summer


My calendar tells me that the summer days are past.  The school buses en route past my house morning and afternoon remind me that soon the days will be chillier.  The leaves that are slowly falling and quietly accumulating in my backyard remind me that change is in the air.  Soon food topics will center around pumpkins and cider and soups.  But today, our lunch still fondly reminisced the carefree hot summer days.
 
A no-substitutions needed, easy and filling meal for any food-intolerant Pickle is Taco Salad.  Choose vibrant veggies that appeal, and add an extra crunch of crushed tortilla chips.  Some black beans may be added to extend the meat if you wish, and top it with an allergen-free French dressing. 
 
 
Summer lingers on in this dish, no matter what your calendar claims.

Cajun Taco Seasoning

2 1/2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

Combine above seasonings in a spice jar.  If you prefer less heat, reduce the cayenne and red pepper flakes to a level you prefer.

I used 1 1/2 tsp of Cajun Taco Seasoning in 1 pound of ground beef that had been browned with a medium chopped onion.  The flavor was mild-medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment