Friday, November 2, 2012

Cool Weather Greens

I stopped by the farm produce market stand on my way home to get a bunch of kale.  I had a recipe idea looming in my mind and was determined that this was the day to give it a try.  Though I had cooked this vegetable fewer times than I could count on one hand, I was suddenly slightly obesessed with this cool weather leafy green.

I arrived to find that the only kale left at this time of day had wilted a bit, and the farmer apologized and said he would be picking more later today.  If I wanted it, he said, I could have that basketful for a dollar.  That's all it took.  He had said the magic word.  I happily paid him my dollar, gathered up my load of prize kale, and headed straight home to my kitchen.

All it took was a cool water bath and I had some nice perky kale to play with!  And all of it for a dollar!  What a happy camper cook that made me!

So on to the recipe.  Kale with sundried tomatoes, garlic, onion, and a zing of balsamic vinegar.  Oh, did it hit the spot.  Why did I always think the flavor of kale would be such a challenge?  It was delectable!  If noodles were an option, that would have made a tasty pairing, but I found basmati rice to be perfectly satisfying!  The flavors, as they worked their way through the rice and the blend of ever-so-slightly-yet-perfectly-bitter kale paired with the sweet flavor of sundried tomatoes and the tang of the vinegar, made this dish a winner for me, hands down.  Not so much for the dubious Pickles, though even the most particular Pickle surprised himself by how much he enjoyed it in a biteful with rice!

 
 
Kale with Sundried Tomatoes
 
12 cups kale, washed, chopped, and gently packed for measuring
2/3 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes, chopped
6 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 tsp. balsamic vinegar
salt to taste
 
1.  In a large skillet, saute onion, tomatoes, garlic, and red pepper flakes in olive oil until onions and garlic are tender.
 
2.  Meanwhile, in a 5.5 quart pot, bring 1 inch of water to a boil.  Add kale, turning to expose all the greens to the hot water.  When kale has just wilted, remove from the water and carefully add to skillet with tomato mixture. 
 
3.  Add balsamic vinegar and allow kale to simmer just until flavors mingle.  Season to taste with salt.  Remove from heat and serve immediately.
 
This pairs nicely as a side dish to Bacon Meatballs and Basmati Rice.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! We like a chicken (or turkey) soup with onions, butternut squash, carrots and kale...yum! Just in case you have a bit of kale left. Our soup was made extra special by using our own carrots! If you want the recipe, let me know...it's online.

    LK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That sounds like a perfect fall soup! Stopped by the market stand again today and got a *bushel* of kale...apparently my obsession isn't over yet!

      Delete