Monday, February 25, 2013

(Not Ramen) Cabbage Salad

 
Once upon a time, in a different diet lifetime, I had tasted a delightfully crunchy salad that had, of all things, crumbled dry ramen noodles.
 
Yeah, those right-of-passage-to-college noodles actually were kind of yummy in this salad, I have to admit.  Cabbage-y, crunchy, a little vinegar-y sweet dressing, and some other seeds and nuts.  You know, I rather liked it.
 
Fast forward a few years and the ingredient list on said 23 cent packages of noodles and MSG flavoring would now keep me from eating it.  Forget that wheat isn't an option:  the ingredients just didn't rank high enough on the nutrition chart.
 
So, how about a re-take.
 
This is the (Not Ramen) Cabbage Salad:  still delightfully crunchy, still a little vinegar-y sweet dressing, and now, good for us to eat!  Oh, and I don't even miss the noodles!
 
Combine in bowl:
1/2 head of cabbage, sliced thin
4 whole green onions, diced
 
In a jar combine:
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup oil (I used light olive oil)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of black pepper
 
Shake to combine well and pour over cabbage and onions.  Refrigerate for 1 hour to let flavors mingle.
 
Meanwhile prepare:
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
2 cups cooked cubed chicken breast, cooled
 
When ready to serve, mix almonds, seeds and chicken into cabbage mixture.  Serve immediately and refridgerate leftovers.
(My pantry didn't offer any madarin oranges the day I made this...if you have some, add them in!  I compromised with sweet naval orange slices on the side.)

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I made this again yesterday, but used fresh orange that I had sliced out of the membranes and no chicken. It was delicious as a winter side salad! Thank you! LK

    ReplyDelete