Monday, July 15, 2013

Momma always said to eat your greens: Kale Chips


 
And she's right.  And mothers just know how to go and make 'em great and tasty.  At least mine does.  When my mom came for a visit recently, she demonstrated a super fun way to enjoy eating those greens:  Kale Chips!  Sure, I had heard tell of this shockinglyy easy and decptively nutritious snack called Kale Chips, but had never taken the plunge.  Just hadn't wrapped my brain around the simplicity of it.  Leave it to Mom.  She cleared up any concerns over the difficulty (meaning that there is nothing difficult) and in no time flat we were eating something that beat the socks off of potato chips.  I kid you not.  Moms just have a way with these things.
Here, let me show you what she showed me:
 
First wash and dry kale:
 
 
Trim the thick stem from the kale like so:
 And tear the leaves into manageable pieces. 
 
 
My bunch of kale made this much trimmed kale: 
(Take note and learn from my error--larger bowl needed!)
 
 
In said larger bowl, drizzle just a bit of olive oil over the kale.  Not so much as to make it soggy, but just enough to coat the leaves barely yet leave them shiny.  Toss well to coat all the leaves.
 
 
Arrange kale on baking trays lined with parchment in a single layer.  To quote the wisdom of Mom:  "You don't want them to steam, you want them to crisp."  So there you have it.  Trust me, mothers know these things--so leave that kale in a single layer.  Sprinkle with some sea salt, or any other seasoning that sounds scrumptious. 
 
 
 It's time for the transformation!  Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 minutes, give or take depending on your ovens temperature accuracy.  When done, kale chips have shrunken considerably and are crisp and delicate, like crispy ruffled tissue paper. 
 
 
Here is the final result of one big bunch of kale reduced to a cereal bowl.  My first bowl was cleaned up and filled with watermelon in the meantime to round out our happy summer snacking!
 
 
Proof that Moms knows how to get anyone to "eat your greens":
 
(The Pickle's review?  "Wow, Grandma's right!  These are great!)
Now really, who's surprised?  ;)

2 comments:

  1. I tried this with beet greens and my kids gobbled them up! LK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! What a smart idea! Thanks for sharing!!

      Delete