Monday, September 30, 2013

Lovin' the Leftovers

I made a soup last week that my family loved. 

"This should go on the blog!" they announced in unison.

I was caught.  What do I say?  How can I tell them?

Sheepishly I admitted that I simply took coordinating leftovers and combined them in the crock-pot, called it soup, and there we had it.  The details of flavor just couldn't be re-created.  But I am so happy they loved it.  And yes, I agree, it even surprised me how yummy it tasted.

But really, isn't that how soups work?  Add coordinating flavors or a balance of contrasting flavors together, heat, serve, enjoy?

Here's what we had tonight: 


It was a collection of ingredients that needed to be used up or were fresh from the farmer's market. It rather reminded me of this recipe from last year:  Chicken Fajita Soup, which was and is a winner. Today I just added some potatoes.  Oh, and I used pinto beans instead of black beans.  This soup missed out on some of the hot peppers.  Same thing, only different.  It must be the time of year for these ingredients.

Or leftovers.

Or just time for soup.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment