Friday, October 18, 2013

Almost lost

See these 14 pints of chicken broth?  They almost didn't exist.

I started out one day cooking some chicken thighs in a pot of water on the stove.

I could have just picked out the meat and disposed of the stuff we couldn't eat.

Or could we?

I must admit that once upon a time, I did.  I would pick out the meat and toss the rest, thinking it unusable.  I mean, who eats bones??

Well, maybe not eat bones, but mabye could I at least extract all the nutrients possible out of them?

Now I save the first round of broth (strain it to make sure I get any little bones out) and then I put the bones, cartilage and any little bits of meat that stuck back in a pot and cover them with water -again-!  I season with a bit of garlic, onion, salt and pepper, and then let it simmer for several hours.  Adding some carrots, celery, or other veggies would be pretty yummy too!

I used to miss out, but not any more!  I now have 14 pints of chicken broth/stock in my freezer, which I could have so easily lost!  It's pretty much as good as getting it for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment