Friday, February 14, 2014

A Midwest Tradition


 
I pulled out a recipe from my childhood.  And it was time to teach Pickle. 
 
There's something about needing to share a recipe with roots of our heritage.  Food has always been a strong part of history and it is a facet of who each of us is. 
 
As I re-read the ingredients, I realized that they could sound a little like a mistake.  But, they arn't and it isn't.  It is just one of those traditions from the midwest.  A little bit of this and that coming together. 
 
Just like the Pickle and me.
 
 
 
Cinnamon Applesauce Salad
 
1 Tablespoon cinnamon candies
1 cup hot water
1 small package cherry gelatin
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped nuts
 
Melt candies in hot water.  Heat if necessary.  Pour over gelatin and stir to dissolve.  Add applesauce; chill until partially set.  Fold in celery and nuts.  Chill completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment