Monday, February 3, 2014

Taco Soup

I know, I know.
 
I'm like a broken record.
 
Maybe to put it in more contemporary terms: a skipping cd.
 
But will you humor me once again to say:
 
I L.O.V.E. Beans.
 
I need a support group. 
 
We'll be such a happy legume-loving collection of people.  You really should join us(me).
 
Here, give this Taco Soup a try and just see if you might want to join the ranks.
 
The eating's gonna be good....
 

Taco Soup

1 pound ground meat (turkey, beef, or venison), browned
1 can (15ish oz.) of each of the following:  Black Beans, Pinto Beans, Kidney Beans, Great Northern Beans
2 cans (15ish oz.) stewed tomatoes
1 can (15ish oz.) whole kernal corn
1/2 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1.  All important first step:  Rinse the beans.   It makes them less, mmm, uncomfortable later on.  (Another reason I like to prepare my own fresh beans.)  Rinse with fresh water in a collander until the beans no longer "bubble."

 

2.  Then simply combine all ingredients in a soup pot and simmer together until heated through and flavors mingle, about 30 minutes.


(Normally, I use freshly soaked and cooked beans for most of my recipes. However, I also have friends who like to use canned beans, and there are times that the convenience cannot be beat. Therefore, this recipe is written using bean measurements in cans. To sub home-soaked, cooked beans, use about 1 1/2 cups in place of each can.)

2 comments: