Monday, June 2, 2014

The proof is in the...

...holes.

The brownies had been set on the table to cool.
We found the fork under the table.
And we found the Pickle hiding with the chocolate around his mouth.

Apparently we don't need to ask how well he liked them.
 
This recipe comes, albeit slightly adjusted, from my mom's recipe file.  I had tried all varieties and various renditions of wheat/dairy free brownie recipes, but I didn't want xanthan gum in our flour blend, and I rarely keep chocolate chips in the house (they're pricey and well, if they are here I eat them, need I say more?).  I just needed a good old fashioned recipe like my mom's!  

Enter "duh moment."

...what if I just did the really obvious thing and used my mom's recipe and subbed out the ingredients that the Pickles can't have for ingredients they could?

It's not always a sure-fire plan, but it was worth a shot.

Judging by Sneaky-Pickle's stealth obsession, I would say that this time it worked out perfectly!

Now to make sure the rest of us get some...

Brownies, just like Mom's


3/4 cup cocoa
2/3 cup palm shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Grease 9x13 baking pan.
Melt shortening and cocoa in pan on stove, stirring constantly until just melted.
Remove from heat.
Mix in sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  (Beat well after adding each egg to keep from cooking the eggs!)
Stir in remaining ingredients.
Spread in pan.

Bake 30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment