Simplicity and Normalcy


Nothing delights me more than to hand a delicious treat to my Pickles.
My delight is only magnified when that treat tastes, well, normal.  And made with normal  ingredients?  I'm pretty sure that the heavens open and you can hear those angel voices singing!

I used to mess around with a mix of "specialty" gluten-free flours, starches, and gums to make Chocolate Chip Cookies that were Pickle-friendly.  One day I decided that I just wanted to simplify.  My "Ingredient Minimalist" instincts kicked in full throttle.  I was determined to make a cookie with ingredients that were not only wholesome and easily sourced, but were also pretty much always available in my pantry.  And the recipe itself certainly must be no-fuss, quick and easy.  The flavor must be in no way compromised or come out with a funky after taste.  My sights were set on a tender chewy cookie rimmed with a crunch and filled with melty chocolate and oven toasted pecans.  Essentially I wanted a perfect cookie with perfect ingredients.

I was delighted to find that it was a much easier challenge than what I had geared up for.  So easy, in fact, I had to bake up a handful of batches to make sure I wasn't missing the hard part somewhere.  I wasn't missing it.  We were soon enjoying simple and normal cookies--for real!


We all loved our new cookies, and even shared them with friends who don't need to eat allergen-free.
They commented before knowing the ingredients, "These taste good!" 
Their verdict after knowing they were 'free?  "These taste normal!"

We had gone full circle and had come back to the ingredients we knew best.  And these cookies were waiting for us the whole time.
 
The Simple and Normal Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookie:
1 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cup white rice flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup refined coconut oil, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

1.  In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process rolled oats and rice flour until oats are broken down into flour.  (I ran mine for about 3 minutes.)  Add baking soda, salt, and sugars and process again until completely mixed.

2.  Add eggs, vanilla, and oil, and process again until mixture is well combined.

3.  Pour cookie dough mixture into a bowl and stir in nuts and chocolate chips. 

4.  Scoop out rounded teaspoonfuls and roll into balls, placing on a lightly greased baking tray.

5.  Bake at 375 degrees F for 7-8 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.  Remove from oven and cool on the tray for 2 minutes before removing to cooling racks to completely cool.

6.  Store in airtight containers.  I have no guarantees how long these can last.  They nearly evaporate around here!

Makes about 6 dozen 2" cookies...give or take the few snatched up by eager little taste-testers!

Always be creative,
Marie Winfield

Comments

  1. "Pickles" mentioned this website when she was over yesterday. I'm so glad she did!!! Time to have a fresh start with baking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh funny! I thought I should send you the link to the cookies, but so glad you found it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts