Heritage

Holidays are often steeped in tradition.  Whether it be in what is eaten, where you go, what you wear, or who you are with, chances are that most everyone has a tradition that defines their memories of a holiday or any special occasion.

This photo depicts a few special memories and traditions for me:


This bowl and salad bring fond memories of both of my grandmothers.  In the bowl is the Overnight Floret Salad that my grandmother, Carol, makes for nearly every special holiday or family event.  I love this salad; the sweet and slightly tangy dressing over fresh broccolli and cauliflower with excitement added in sunflower seeds and grounded in flavor with crumbled bacon.  So many memories of times spent in my grandmother's kitchen, eating this salad and her other mouth-watering creations and enjoying the love around the table and beyond.
The bowl itself has many warm memories of my grandmother, Mildred.  I loved the special times that my grandmother would create when I spent the night at her house.  She would bring out the special huge floor pillows, pop some popcorn and serve it in this bowl, and we would snuggle down and watch a movie or she would tell stories of her travels.  I loved the cozy nights spent at my grandma's house.
I love being able to share these bits of my life and tradition memories with my Pickles.  They munch away on popcorn out of the melamine bowl just like I did with my grandma, and they rave over their great-grandma's special occasion salad, helping themselves to generous seconds. 
I would love to share a part of both these special memories with you.  If you came for a visit, I would happily serve you some popcorn in grandma's bowl.  But for now, I will share the recipe for my grandmother's special occasion salad and hope you enjoy making a new tradition memory of your own!



My Grandmother's Overnight Floret Salad

1 small head cauliflower, broken into small florets (6 cups)
1 bunch broccolli, broken into small florets (4 cups)
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/3 cup vinegar
6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup sunflower kernals

In a bowl, combine the cauliflower, broccoli, onions, sugar, mayonnaise, and vinegar.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.  Just before serving, stir in the sunflower kernals and bacon.

Yield:  10 servings

What little things do you enjoy today that bring memories of days gone by?

Always be creative,
Marie Winfield

Originally published November 19, 2012

Comments

Popular Posts